Design a PL for Knitting at Disney Research Pittsburgh!
My friend Jim just told me about an exciting-sounding internship opportunity for Ph.D. students in programming languages! Check it out:
Disney Research Pittsburgh seeks a PhD student with experience in Programming Languages or Compilers for a summer internship. The student will be expected to apply programming language methods to the analysis and control of knitting machines, with potential topics including:
- developing a semantics for machine knitting
- formally describing a notion of machine knittability
- inverse knitting
- knit scheduling
- knitting pattern optimization
- knitting failure analysis and robustness estimation
- translation from hand knitting to machine knittingAs part of the internship, the student will write up their work for submission to an appropriate top-tier venue; applicants with prior publications in such venues will be strongly favored.Interested students should contact Jim McCann (firstname.lastname@example.org) to arrange a further conversation. Please include or link to a description of your current research area and previous publications.